Saturday, April 19, 2014

Happy Easter!

 
(Photo Courtesy of www.cokesbury.com )
        Happy Easter! Today marks my first (and last) major holiday over here. I haven't done anything too exciting to celebrate but the Easter bunny did visit our dorms and I scavenged together a makeshift Easter dinner for myself! I had chicken legs, steamed veggies, and brown rice all deliciously cooked with a microwave! It wasn't too bad, just not up to par with past Easter dinners!

 
 
        Last Friday night we had the fire alarm go off at 2 AM. It was horrible! For those of us that were here, we had to evacuate and sit outside with the swarms of mosquitos for about a half hour until the firefighters showed up. If Hutton House really was on fire, I'm pretty sure it would have burnt down before the firefighters arrived!
 
        On Tuesday night, there was Blood moon/ lunar eclipse. We could see it pretty clearly here but we didn't see it turn red. Some of us endured the mosquitos and sat outside and watched it from the wide open University campus lawn! On Tuesday this week, there is supposed to be a meteor shower that is supposed to be pretty fantastic from about 8 PM to early hours in the morning. I can't wait for that!
 
**At the end of the eclipse



        On Wednesday, I thought that it was about time that I treat myself to some Domino's pizza! It was a typically beautiful Australian afternoon when I set out for the two mile walk to the nearest Domino's. I got my pizza and started my walk back when it started drizzling out. It was one of those type of rain showers where the sun was still shining. I didn't mind it too much until it started down pouring! So here I am walking back to campus with a pizza in the rain. By the time I got on campus to a covered picnic bench, I was drenched and my pizza box was a flimsy cardboard mess. One, it was the wrong day to wear a white t-shirt and two, I should have put on bug spray. The mosquitos were fighting me for the same dry space and apparently they are really attracted to the smell of pizza! So I did what any seemingly intelligent college-aged girl would do.... I ate the whole large pizza in under ten minutes. So.. much ...regret. It was about another 20 minutes before the rain let up enough for me to waddle back to my dorm and let me tell ya, it was quite painful. But on the bright side of things, I saw a beautiful rainbow on the way back! I will not be indulging in any pizza for a while after that episode.
 

        On Thursday, I went on my weekly grocery run to Stockland's and finally tried a meat pie. Ever since I first arrived in Brisbane, I had seen countless billboards advertising "The best meat pies around" and heard many people talking about their favorite meat pies. Because of a friend's recommendation, I decided to try a steak and cheese pie and it was delicious! Super messy, but yummy! I'm pretty sure normal people eat it with a knife and fork but I wasn't given any so I made do with my hands and a couple dozen napkins haha.
 
      On Friday, I experienced my first mid-term exam here and did awesome! I got a 92 out of 100. I and a couple other girls spent countless hours during the past couple weeks in the library studying for this mid-term. My study guide alone took me 13 hours to complete. (I really like to make study guides ha). It all paid off and I'm feeling pretty confident with my classes.
 
       Today, I think I'll go for a walk and fill out some more postcards. I love walking to the university grounds and enjoying how pretty it is while I'm writing! I hope everyone has a fantastic Easter and eat some chocolate for me!
 
Adios!
 
Tina
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment